Belarus Su-27 crashed at Radom Air Show

ImageForum for news and discussions on miltary aviation matters.

Forum rules
Melchior Timmers
Scramble Addict
Scramble Addict
Subscriber Scramble: Melchior Timmers

Re: Belarus Su-27 crashed at Radom Air Show

Post by Melchior Timmers »

Dutch news reports the Belarus gvmt states that a multiple birdstrike might be the cause..

Cheers,
Melchior Timmers
Editor Scramble Magazine
-----------------------------------------
PO Box 75545
1118 ZN Schiphol
The Netherlands
E-mail: melchior.timmers@scramble.nl
Internet: http://www.scramble.nl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pjgross
Scramble Senior
Scramble Senior
Subscriber Scramble: pjgross

Post by pjgross »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiWSkB5FLWc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On 0:58 it looks like two black dots come off the aircraft or out of the engines.
lievers-online
Scramble Junior
Scramble Junior
Type of spotter: Rather take a picture of the moment
Subscriber Scramble: tja

Post by lievers-online »

3x Su-27 down within 2 weeks is surely not a good promotion for the Aviation and surtainly not the Russian Industry.

I'm afraid that this might wake up more Airforce to replace theire aged planes and alerts Western countries agains these type of planes.

Hurricane.
A bird strike and the 2 Flankers colliding has nothing to do with the Su-27 which is still considered one of the best frontline fighters in the world.
Although a bird strike in case of the Belarus example is interesting as the 2 persons onboard didn't use their escape, and the film clearly showed that the plane was sort of level with time to eject.
B.J. van de Maat
Scramble Senior
Scramble Senior
Type of spotter: F5
Subscriber Scramble: digitaal

Post by B.J. van de Maat »

http://www.nos.nl/nosjournaal/artikelen ... polen.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ehusmann
Scramble Master
Scramble Master

Post by ehusmann »

Such a weird feeling. Only 5 minutes before we boarded our flight home from Warsaw we got the news today about the accident. Yesterday we were thrilled to see the Flanker, but sad that it didn't fly (to obvious weather reasons). Today we have to give our sympathies to the families of two Belorussian aviators. A sad day for sure. :(

Erwin
Hurricane
Scramble Master
Scramble Master
Type of spotter: F4 + H5
Subscriber Scramble: Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

Hans Rolink wrote:
Hurricane wrote:
I'm afraid that this might wake up more Airforce to replace theire aged planes and alerts Western countries agains these type of planes.

Hurricane.
I am not sure if I understand you. Care to elaborate? :?

Hans.
I think you do; (for the first part; )since the Ukrain Su-27 came down some years ago and combined with the reputation of the Russian airplanes (lack of fundings, poor maintenance, questionable performances ect.) in general the opinion has changed negative (to normal people and military users) and resulted in several Airforces to drop Russian types over the past years and still this proces continues on....

(second part) Also several Countries / Airshows have 'banned' these types due to safety reasons and with these accidents happening the favors doesn't work for these planes.

Personally I really think it is a shame that we see these developments, I still think that all (MIG's and) SU's are the best looking/performing planes flying around and should be @ any airshow in Western Europe however the system behind these fighters is far from ideal, destroying many reputations build in the past (and the negative reputations remains)

And a note to this incident; a multiple birdstrike can't be prevented and sadly costs 2 souls.

Hurricane
Groeten,
Ron
Andras
Scramble Addict
Scramble Addict
Type of spotter: Photo only

Post by Andras »

Crizz wrote:Found a movie on a Polish news site with the fatal moment.

http://wyborcza.pl/1,75248,6980373,Na_A ... iloci.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mmm.. That manouvre doesn't seem to be high enough for a good egress... It just disappears behind the trees...

Edit: I just saw the NOS video..It was high enough, the Polish video just shows the descending Flanker. Birdstrike they say. Well, you see the smoke trail coming, meaning throttle back from AB or just milpower/engine shutdown and therefor no power to flare the plane. No ejection due to safety of crowd is rumored. That is just heroic if it's true. Where is the video with parts coming off, can someone point that out for me?, i can't find it.
Groet,

Andras Brandligt
My images at AirTeamImages.com
baloo N.

Post by baloo N. »

You can see it here, Andras
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoZlokktlP8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
evhest
Scramble Addict
Scramble Addict

Post by evhest »

The final few second of this clip offer a slightly better view of the aircraft in it's final moments. I observe no parts falling off in this clip. Strange crash, this one....
Answers will be questioned.....
Hans Rolink
Scramble Addict
Scramble Addict
Type of spotter: F4.5
Subscriber Scramble: Hans Rolink

Post by Hans Rolink »

evhest wrote:The final few second of this clip offer a slightly better view of the aircraft in it's final moments. I observe no parts falling off in this clip. Strange crash, this one....
I think the "bits falling off" is different than we think. In another video I saw the image briefly increasing in pixelation at the moment (00:19 sec) described. This could have been mistaken for pieces falling off.
The crash is strange. Stall due to insufficient speed during pull up from the loop? Caused in turn by bird ingestion which has been mentioned yesterday?

Hans.
pjotrtje
Scramble Master
Scramble Master
Subscriber Scramble: Pi

Post by pjotrtje »

evhest wrote:The final few second of this clip offer a slightly better view of the aircraft in it's final moments. I observe no parts falling off in this clip. Strange crash, this one....
Check 1:23, there you will find black dots seemingly shooting away from the aircraft...
== All is well, as long as we keep spinning ==
stipjes
Scramble Die-Hard
Scramble Die-Hard
Subscriber Scramble: nee

Post by stipjes »

pjotrtje wrote:
Check 1:23, there you will find black dots seemingly shooting away from the aircraft...
nope, it is just 2 birds flying there the seconds before and after I think
Greetz,

Patrick "Stipjes"

Return to “Military Aviation News”