US buys 81 ex-Kazakh AF jets

ImageForum for news and discussions on miltary aviation matters.

Forum rules
FredL
Scramble Die-Hard
Scramble Die-Hard

US buys 81 ex-Kazakh AF jets

Post by FredL »

https://www.businessinsider.com/us-buys ... 20reported.

I wonder if such aircraft components may really be usefull as spare parts in Ukraine, where such derelicts are already to be found in numbers.
Isn't that move also (more) motivated by the US will to avoid those aircraft spare parts being re-used in Iran, which operates some of those jets types ?
I remember that around 20 years ago, the US bought about 20 Mig-29s from Moldova to prevent them from being sold to Iran.
michel N
Scramble Master
Scramble Master
Subscriber Scramble: MN

Re: US buys 81 ex-Kazakh AF jets

Post by michel N »

It’s only vague rumors, denied by Kazakhstan. So it’s far from confirmed the USA bought them.
Second, if the average price was 20.000 dollars each, I would guess there’s not much that can be used from these planes.
flown in: Things with wings
Starfighter_F-104G
Scramble Addict
Scramble Addict
Type of spotter: serial
Subscriber Scramble: no

Post by Starfighter_F-104G »

Kazakhstan denies sale of discontinued military aircraft to Ukraine

Astana, Apr 28, 2024

Kazakhstan's state-owned company Kazspecexport today denied having sold discontinued military aircraft to Ukraine for spare parts.

According to the Kazakh company, which is engaged in the export and import of weapons, leasing of military facilities and destruction of war material, told the Kazakhstan Pravda newspaper on Sunday the information circulating on the Internet does not correspond to reality.

No foreign entity, according to Kazspecexport, had access to the purchase of aircraft equipment subject to destruction; all retired aircraft, their components and equipment will undergo scrapping that excludes the possibility of restoring their original state and will leave only in the form of scrap metal.
orange
Scramble Junior
Scramble Junior

Post by orange »

FredL wrote: 29 Apr 2024, 16:42 I remember that around 20 years ago, the US bought about 20 Mig-29s from Moldova to prevent them from being sold to Iran.
That was the official reason.

But not all Moldovan MiG-29s were bought which is strange if you want to prevent any from falling in Iran’s hands… Around the same time many other countries offered MiG-29s for sale but non of these were bought by either Iran or the US?
A lot of these MiG-29s disappeared after arrival in the US. Some even appeared in the skies over Area 51.
They were bought for a reason but I don’t think Iran had anything to do with it.

Return to “Military Aviation News”